Samuel, thanks for your review and feedback. Regarding in-person check-in, I prefer to personally welcome my guests, show them around and explain the rules. This is even more important when the guest booked last minute. In this case, I also ask for ID and credit card verification. For check out, I typically ask my guests to follow the check out instructions and slot the key under the door. But in this case I was in the building checking out another guest. Since it was taking longer I messaged that I’ll be late for 30mins.
The check out instructions has nothing to do with the cleaning fee. Part of the instructions is to strip the bed linens and put them in the bath tub along with used towels. In the case of Samuel, the bed linens were not even stripped. The following is the checkout instruction sent to Samuel:
Good evening Samuel,
We hope you enjoyed your stay.
In preparation for your check out tomorrow, I want to remind you of the following:
1) Latest check out time is 11:00am. Please complete your check out before this time as another guest is checking in and we need to get the apartment prepared.
2) Ensure that all items on the inventory list are accounted for and in their place. Leave the inventory sheet on the kitchen counter.
3) If there are any damages, please bring to our attention.
4) Dispose off all garbage from the bathroom and kitchen as well as paper/cardboard recyclables in the garbage room (main floor). Put all food recyclables in the green cart (in garbage room). Leave all bottles and cans (drinks, juice, etc.) in the apartment.
5) Leave all used towels and linen in the bath tub.
6) Load the dishwasher with used dishes & utensils but don't start the machine.
7) Don't forget to take all your belongings.
8) I’ll be there to check you out.
We wish you a safe journey back to your base.
We want to thank you again for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Do consider us next time you need a home away from home in Calgary.
And if you had a good experience and enjoy your stay please give us a good review. If you have any suggestions and/or negative experience, please bring to our attention so we can improve. All suggestions for improvement are welcome. Thank you.