This review is perplexing to me. It does not match any of the reviews I've received in the 2+ years I've been an AirBnB host. I will address each item in Connor's review so this might be a bit long to read.
- First, I'll address the misconceptions Connor had when reading my listing and booking my room:
1. My home does not have AC. AC is not listed.
2. My listing is for 1 private room, not two. There is a small living room with a TV that guests can use.
3. My listing specifically lists LIMITED internet. I found out after Connor had left that he'd used 171GB above my allotted 125GB. The extra charge to my internet account was $351! I feel that asking them to "take it easy" was justifiable. Although Connor alludes to how much he paid, it was less than $20 per day for 2 people - a $351 charge is more than half of what he paid for his entire 30-day stay.
- I do NOT live in a low income neighbourhood. It is a family oriented neighbourhood. It is a townhouse, therefore neighbours are close. All other reviews have described the area as a calm and quiet residential area. Crime reports in my neighbourhood are very low for Ottawa standards (you can look that up online as Ottawa has a crime map utility). My neighbourhood is ethnically diverse, as is much of Ottawa. I would hope that no one would equate a multi-cultural neighbourhood with crime.
- ALL other reviews report my home to be very clean and tidy. I'm not sure how else to respond other than perhaps they expected me to clean their room during their stay (??). I would have gladly done that if they'd asked me to. Since they were here for 30 days, I expected them to maintain their private room themselves since I would never enter their room.
Connor specifically mentions the curtains, for example, which I ran through the wash before they arrived so it's impossible that they had hair on them. I always clean all the bedding, towels, mattress covers, vacuum and dust between each guest. In addition, I wash the curtains about once a month. I have NEVER had anyone say my home is not clean.
- The "vicious" dog next door is always tied up, her name is Rosie and she barks when there are people nearby that she doesn't know. She is a sweet dog. Perhaps Connor is afraid of dogs? Regardless, Rosie is NOT an issue.
- There was no "raid" while Connor was staying in my home. One of the neighbours did have the police over for, what seemed to me, a domestic dispute reason which was dealt with very quietly one evening. In the 12+ years I've lived here, I've never seen the police at any of my neighbours’ homes before that one time.
- I asked Connor if one of my friends could use the pull-out couch one night because she was arriving by plane late one night, and he agreed. She arrived past midnight and was gone by 7AM - he never even saw her. Given that he'd only used the small living room once or twice, I didn't think it would be a big deal. I wish he'd said something instead of agreeing to let my friend stay and then complaining about it after the fact.
In closing, I want to add that I barely ever saw Connor or his partner. They were almost always in their room with the door closed, so I had very little interaction with them. Every time I saw either of them, I made a point to ask if they were finding everything okay and if they needed anything. In the 30 days they stayed at my house, they never asked about borrowing a fan. I came home one day and one of my fans had disappeared. He also never spoke to me about explaining how anything worked (no one has ever had any issues working my stove, washer, dryer or shower! My appliances are simple models, nothing fancy.) Given that they barely said hello to me, I figured they were private types and I should just respect that and stay out of their way.
This review is shocking to me. All guests have said how easy it was to communicate with me, including Connor, so why didn't he communicate any of his concerns?